February 2, Saturday
Grippenmire c. 1973
(photo Liz Tansey, seated with cat)
Saturday night, Westminster-Fairview village-Elm park held
their carnival dance at Walter Penfield school at Westminster
Park. Not too bad-Grippenmire (*)
was playing-alot of drop-in + John Rennie people there. Really
strange scene in the guys can-smoking a little dope, snorting
mesc, talking. Bennie got wrecked and acted a bit weird. Lots
my English class we went to see 'Macbeth' [directed by Roman
Polanski, produced by Playboy. The film was more violent then
the teacher Mrs. McCrea expected, and she walked out. There
was also full frontal female nudity. It was a surprise for
all of us]. Ralph was with us at least.
of a conversation between Ralph and Andy recorded at my place
Sunday February 10, 1974:
- Was I ever wrecked last night. Like I
had this cigarette, I had one cigarette, ay? and I thought
it in my pocket...
- I didn't know where I put...
- I'd put it inside my shirt so it was
right there broken ay? Looking all over the house for it,
the table and everything, so I put my hand here and there
- The one John gave you?
- It was down here.
- The one John Tate gave you?
- Did we...yeah...
- We met John Tate. Oh right, tell me what
happened after, ah...the ride home.
- The ride home, we went into the halls.
We called on, um...John and Randy, is that is brother's name?
and so we asked him if he had a cigarette and he just said
no, so we just sat down the hall and John walked in...
- I see.
- ...and he gave us all a cigarette.
- And how long did we stay in the halls?
- You left. You took the cigarette and
- Did I say goodbye?
- And ah...
- I remember falling asleep on Heather's
shoulder in the car.
- Oh really.
- But I can't remember getting into the
car. And who was at McDonald's with us?
- And that was it? And where were we sitting,
at the back?
- At the back.
- Right, now I remember.......Quite a good
night. That mandrax is a nice straight.
* From an email from Timothy Campbell (Class of '74), May
"I later met one of the members of Grippenmire when he became
(believe it or not) a Jehovah's Witness, which I was then.
I don't know if he remained one or not."
2004 while living in Toronto, I designed a website for Liz
Tansey, who had been a member of Grippenmire in the late '70's...
173 | Page 175